SOS: Day 6
Munch on celery and carrot sticks.
Studies show it’s best to eat small portions frequently throughout the day (about every 3-4 hours). For the rest of the month, eat snacks before and after lunch (before bed is OK, too, if you’re an early diner).
Don’t forget to add these to your food journal. You are keeping your journal, aren’t you?
I’ve combed the internet to find lists of the snacks most recommended by dietitians. Rid your house and office of unhealthy junk and sodas. You heard me (and I heard myself…out with the CocaCola). Throw or give them away. You won’t need willpower if there are no temptations. If you have kids, this will be better for them, too.
Now, go shopping for some ingredients to make:
- A 2 tablespoon spread of natural (not sugared) peanut butter spread on a celery stick, a slice of apple, or a banana.
- A small cup of yogurt. Plain, organic nonfat yogurt is best, but nonfat vanilla is OK, too. Avoid fruit-on-the-bottom cups which have too much sugar. You can top your yogurt with a few unsalted almonds or walnuts, add a few tablespoons of some healthy cereal such as Fiber One, or eat it with fresh fruits–bananas, berries, apples.
- 12 almonds or 12 walnuts
- As many pieces of plain celery as you wish
- A cup of baby carrots
- An apple
- A banana
- One hard-boiled egg
- An orange
- A cup of grapes. For the sweet tooth afflicted among you: I’ve heard that if you freeze them, it’s almost like eating hard candy.
- 2 ounces of chunk light tuna packed in water. If you must, add a little lite mayo, but aim to do without. Another great solution is to mix a little plain yogurt with mustard…to me, it tastes almost like mayo.
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- A cup of low-fat cottage cheese
- A few prunes or dried apricots (I know, I know. Prunes? But the orange-flavored ones are good.)
- A cup of low-fat chocolate milk
SOS Month 1
What to do so far:
In case you missed a day, the reminders below are clickable.
Get some sun.
Do your do.
Take a walk every day.
Write down everything you eat or drink daily.
Exercise to music.
Add healthy snacks to your diet (and purge your house of unhealthy ones).