SOS: Day 86
Pick up the chopsticks.
If you’re as klutzy as I am, a great idea would be the chopstick diet. So little food reaches the mouth that you lose five pounds a week. Luckily, there’s a better way.
Here are some healthy aspects of Asian diets that you can adapt in your own menu planning. Many chronic conditions like cancer, obesity, and heart disease occur rarely in Asian cultures. Diet is one reason why.
- Drinks: Green teas and black teas are rich in antioxidants. Drink plenty.
- Grains: Eat rice*, noodles, corn, millet, bread, potatoes, cereals.
- Veggies: Eat mostly fruits and veggies, especially dark green leafy ones. Eat them in large quantities. Other vegetables to include are carrots, cabbage, onions, and sprouts.
- Nuts & legumes: This is where you’ll get most of your protein. Eat soy as tofu, soy milk, and other forms daily.
- Fish: Low to moderate consumption of fish is healthy.
- Eggs & poultry: Once a week.
- Meat: Eat it only once or twice a month. This keeps your diet low in saturated fats.
- Dairy: Except for India, most Asian countries consume little or no milk or cheese. Despite this, these countries have a lower incidence of osteoporosis than Western countries.
A few web resources to check out:
*Rice—the latest research says that brown rice is a much better choice. A Harvard study this year shows that eating white rice five times a week increases your risk for Type 2 diabetes. Eating two or more servings of brown rice, however, lowers your risk.
SOS Month 3
What to do so far:
In case you missed a day, the reminders below are clickable.
Get in shape for the best years ahead.
Eat chia…don’t pet it.
Exercise keeps you sharp.
Counteract urban or rural lifestyle risks.
Control what life expectancy factors you can.
Find a mate. Or live as if you’ve got one.
Activate your endorphins.
Wanna live? Exercise!
Drink your HOH ASAP.
Count calories to lose weight faster.
Count calories free online.
On the Ides I’d rather…
Watch funny flicks.
Lift weights to tone and firm.
Lift heavy or lift light.
Cut back on salt.
Remember the benefits of resistance training.
Weight/resistance train a few times per week.
Start over and fail better.
Learn proper technique to avoid weight training injury.
Be nice to your DOMS bod.
Choose fitness activities wisely.
Adapt healthy eating practices from Asian diets.